View Single Post
      03-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
mdosu
Banned

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Automobile repair/maintenance class - don't laugh

Guys, I just figured out an awesome program that helps out DIYers like myself who don't have access to the space, hydraulic lifts, and a second-hand or pointers from someone who knows cars.

Every quarter Arlington County offers Adult education classes. Aside from the standard learn VBA programming and spanish lessons...they're offering 3 different levels of auto repair/maintenance classes.

The class curriculum is based on the need of the students' maintenance or repair work that's needed. There's a workshop providing a hydraulic lift and other equipment and the student is responsible to supply equipment and tools the shop doesn't have.

The cost is $180 for 8 three-hour sessions in the shop.

I'm thinking about signing up the class to do all my maintenance work and bolt-on work.

I already know a few things that can get done at these sessions:
1. exhaust installs
2. 6MT fluid change
3. rear diff fluid change
4. brake fluid change
5. brake rotor/pad changes (or bbk install?)
6. suspension installs (I won't be doing this)
7. spark plug change
8. alignment (if equipment is available.)

Pros: allows the OCD M3 owner to know their maintenance/repair work was done properly by himself.
Access to a lift at basically $7.50/hour
Someone can give you a second hand if needed, if you're treading into some more moderately difficult work, instructor can provide some help

Cons:
Instructor may know less than you
Limited equipment for M3 specific work. (like installing a ESS kit, lol)
Each session is limited to 3 hours
You have to know at least generally what you need to do. You can't approach each session like it's your first time holding a wrench. Owner still needs to be the expert in what the steps are (M3 oil pan has 2 drains, etc)
Share space and equipment with other students (not a bad thing if say 3 M3 guys sign up for the same class)

does this sound crazy, or should I do this? Anyone else interested?

Classes are at 7pm/8pm on weekdays, once a week, and classes are offered every quarter.

Last edited by mdosu; 03-07-2013 at 10:34 PM.
mdosu is offline   No_Country