radiantm3
Apex Everything!

Drives: >1000 HP in my garage

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen335i View Post
^ ok, so you get 3 strikes before they won't let you run, if and only if you do a sound check before the day begins? Is that the point of the check before you start your day, so you get 3 strikes before you are kicked out? (a buffer if you will).

What if you DON'T do the sound check before? Are you kicked out on the first strike?
No 3 strikes regardless. You can ask for a sound check anytime you want during any session. Basically consists of asking the track steward at the grid about getting a sound check. He'll radio to the sound booth so they know which car is getting tested. You do one warm up lap and then on your second lap you pass the sound booth at full throttle (make sure no other cars are around you) and then go back into the hot pit to get your reading. If you pass you can go back out on the track. If you fail, your session is done but it doesn't count against you since it was a sound test.

My suggestion for a first timer who thinks they might be over sound is to just lift between 5-6 for most of your first session. Probably just getting used to the track anyways. Then when you have 5-10 min left in your session, pull into the hot pits and ask for a sound check. That way if you fail, you don't lose much track time.
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States