Seems that we are now getting the first look at the production i8 headlights and tail lights. Both now appear to be in production form and while they still retain some camouflage, we can make out some of the lighting elements.
The front headlights do not feature the U-shaped LED lights of the concept i8 model
and appears to be Xenon lights. However, the tail lights will retain their double LED bar design from the concept. You can also see how the front and rear turn signals will light up (on the passenger side).
The i8 recently gave its first ride-along preview rides. One review can be read here
, while the other is located in the video we've re-posted below.
Here is a current summary of the upcoming production i8:
• Production i8 with its carbon fiber construction will tip the scales at 3,262 pounds (1,480kg)
• Plug-in gasoline-electric hybrid powertrain (one gasoline engine + two electric motors)
• The gasoline engine is a turbocharged 1.5L 3-cylinder direct injection engine - the same one we tested in the 1 Series prototype last year [see review
] and the same one that is previewed by the Concept Active Tourer (concept for the upcoming 1 Series GT).
• Gasoline engine is mounted behind the passenger compartment, producing 220 hp / 221 lb-ft
torque to the rear wheels. Its application in the i8 has the redline appearing at 6500rpm.
• Second motor is electric, which is the same as the one from the upcoming i3 all-electric car and is located in the nose of the i8. Produces an additional 128 hp / 184lb ft
to the front wheels.
• Third motor is a much smaller electric unit mounted in the rear next to the 3 cylinder gasoline engine and it produces 5 hp / 6lb ft. It's capable of driving rear wheels, but primary purpose is as an alternator and/or generator depending on which driving mode is chosen; Eco-pro, Comfort or Sport.
• Together, these motors generate 349 hp and 406 lb-ft torque
• BMW claims 0-62mph in 4.6 sec and 37-75mph in 4.0 sec (not final)
• 6 speed automatic transmission
• Conventional torque converter
• 'E Mode' allows i8 to be run solely in electric mode - up to 20 miles on battery only. Front wheel drive only.
• Hybrid mode (electric + gasoline) powers all four wheels
• Gasoline-only mode also available
• Will employ interior Active Sound technology
• 4 seater
• 50:50 distribution
• Will sell for more than €100,000
First interior listen and view of the sensations, during a ride along, by EVO.