View Single Post
      03-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #68
HighandDry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3takesNYC View Post
Its just silly to think the e46 m3 is better in any measurable way. As it should not be just like the F80 will be better in every objective measure. Sure nostalgia may make the e46 m3 "better" in someones mind but in this thread it is a case when someone who can't have an e90 m3 and has an e46 m3, we convince ourselves what we have is better in some way and actually start to believe it. Just like the 30 mpg. Like you said maybe he saw one time going 50 on the highway he got 30mpg and now believes the car gets 30mpg in general on the highway.

I would love an e46 m3 in the stall with my e90 m3 but if you had to pick one it is really a no brainer.

The only reason I can see truly choosing an older version of a car will be when the F80 comes out given its engine is completely a different concept than traditional M3 engines with turbo and low revs. But the e90 v8 builds on the high-rev cocept and makes more power per litre, has higher revs and screams louder and screeches like crazy up high in a similar but different fashion than the e46. So if you liked the S54, there is no way you would not like the s65 better. Especially given it weighs less!
Before I bought a M3, I was looking at Porsches.

Almost pulled the trigger on a 997. Didn't really like the 991 as much. Yes it was faster, but at that level for a DD who cares (and yes I can afford the 991). Just felt that the 997 is a better platform.

Would anyone choose a 996 over a 993? The 996 is much faster and more modern, but very few who have driven both are going to pick the 996. Sure last of the air cooled, but it's more than that.

The same with the M3. It's not like people are priced out of the E9X (everyday there's some 19 yo buying one on this forum ). It's priced pretty low at this time for a used model. Some people just prefer the E46. Don't see why it's so difficult to understand that.
Appreciate 0