View Single Post
      02-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #88
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4598 View Post
Not a lawyer let alone a constitutional one but read the document and the amendments just now- it seems as if amendments 15 and 19 are saying that race and sex no longer take away from the equality of the rights of citizens so whether it' is implicit or explicit, it seems that equal rights is a bedrock concept in constitutional law.
Good, you now have read the Constitution and realize that the phrase you claimed to be in it is nowhere to be found. That's a start.

The 15th amendment directly and explicitly addresses slavery: "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude"

The 19th amendment directly addresses women's right to vote: "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex."

The explicitness of both amendments is critical; they address very defined issues in a very defined manner. They do not address the issue you are discussing, period.

I don't disagree with your premise regarding equality, but I disagree in how you are trying to infer phrases that do not exist in the Constitution or legal premises in the amendments you referenced.

I believe the Equal Protection Clause (14th amendment) makes the most sense in this context.