mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: Melbourne Red 2011 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
+1

Excellent advice. Is it weird that I sit at home on the couch wearing my helmet as I watch GrandAm races, Fifth Gear, and American Idol?

Clearly, I see nothing odd about this at all.

Many people strongly recommend a full-face helmet for safety reasons. You'd be surprised by how much debris makes it into the cabin of the car through the open side windows during a trackday. It's not unusual to find bits of spent rubber from other cars in your back seat when the day is done. I've been whacked in the face by a hot chunk of rubber flying off of a car I was following closely. It didn't feel good. Came in through my open visor. I don't know that I would necessarily drive all the time with my visor lowered, but at least you get quite a bit more protection with a full-face helmet and open visor than you do an open-face helmet.

I've read other stories about this, hence my decision to go full faced. Note to self......keep visor down.

Exactly. The saying goes, "If you have a $100 head, buy a $100 helmet."

I firmly believe that my melon is priceless.

Lookin' good! I have a GP-6S and I love it. It's reassuring when you go through tech at an HPDE event and the organizers just glance at your helmet and say, "Oh--an Arai? You're good!"
Wow--I wouldn't have even thought of that. Add to your trackday checklist: No makeup today. Otherwise, your foundation is going to get all caked-on and nasty on your cheek pads and forehead padding.

About the make-up...the padding on the Arai is removable and washable!

Here' another side note/question about me tracking. I was very ready to buy a set of Volk wheels for my baby (This way I figure if I screw up at the track, at least my car will look good while I'm doing it) which would require new tires as well. I still have good life on my current tires. I thought I'd hold off on the new wheels and tires until I have a few track sessions under my belt. This way, I can use the rubber still left on my stock tires and not burn up rubber on my new wheels yet. Does that make sense?

Black Novillo Extended Leather, Convenience Package, Premium Package 2, DCT, DDC, BMW Apps, Custom Stereo upgrade, Eisenmann Sport Black Series Exhaust, 20"HRE's P45SC's. Color matched Brembo 380/345's, KW Coilovers