View Single Post
      08-31-2007, 11:30 PM   #36
JEllis
Brigadier General

Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Good posts Swamp. I was just suprised about you opinion of fit and finish with Nissan. My experience has been different. I have found the Japanese makes to have better fit and finish, comfort, and luxury than the Germans. Lexus anyone? You should look at the 3 series paint jobs. I have never seen worse orange peel than on the 3 series, particularly in jet black. BMW use to set the standard with spot on steering and feel, now they set themselves apart with electronic gizmos that detract from the driving experience. Anyway, I am not enamored with the GT-R looks wise but I think it will kill the M3 in every performance category. Nissan has really taken it's time developing and testing this car on the Ring and across the world. It always seems to be accompanied by a the 997 TT, in testing photos, which tells you they have much high performance expectations of the car than the M3. Even the Lexus ISF has Brembo brakes and to think a base 3 series has better steering than our M is well....Just a suggestion, drive the Cayman S just one spirited drive is all it takes. May not be practical but when a car drives like that, practical loses some of it's flair. Needs DFI though. I wish I could make myself like the Vette, what a performance bargain. Just can't see myself in a Mercedes, maybe I can learn to get over it.
I will agree that some Japanese makes have very good quality maybe even matching quality to BMW.

I will disagree with you that BMW has had "spot on steering" in the past as both the E46 M3 and E36 M3 have suffered from what journalists call numb or light steering. Although must that drive them, love them.

The GTR in my opinion is a step above the M3 in both performance and price. I would suspect the GTR will come in about the same price as a standard 997 C2. Which is great because you get 997TT performance at C2 prices. It will no doubt be a winner if people are willing to shell out 70-80K for a Nissan.

I also dont see myself in a vette or MB. And the Cayman, although great, is too small.

Jason