View Single Post
      02-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #71
robotk
Second Lieutenant

Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Those numbers are a little low for SoCal, but you have to work HARD to make more than that. That includes seen patients in the hospitals, which means working weekends and getting called at night.
People have to wonder who's better off. The Primary doc who makes $150k a year working 60 hours a week and getting calls from the ER in the middle of the night. He/she has had to study their ass off to get into Medschool- college wasn't nearly as fun as it could have been. Then pay $60,000/yr for medschool. Or the Pharmacist who makes $150k/yr working 40-50 hours a week and never gets called when they're off. Or the nurse who makes $100k/year who only has to do 2 years of JC, then 4 yrs of nursing school and works 3.5 to 4 twelve hour shifts a week and starts making money at age 24?

It's not allowed. We'll get sued for anti-trust!!! That's how screwed we are.

The collective bargaining bit was tongue in cheek, but I wonder how long it can keep up before something has to change.

Alot of this depends on where you live, not to mention volume and efficiency. I know PCPs who have high volume; work 60ish hours weeks and do VERY well. These are practices that have passive revenue streams, ancillaries, physician extenders, etc. Without a business mind, it's impossible to do well nowadays.