View Single Post
      02-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #55
DDS2015
Major

Drives: 2011 E90 LCI 328i xdrive

Garage List
I wouldn't go in to a program like medicine "knowing" what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. My brother did that. He's in his second year of a radiology residency and absolutely hates it. Wishes he never went to med school and did something else instead.

Myself, I'm in my second year of dental school in Minnesota. I bought a new 328xi because I needed a new car and that's what I had my heart set on. At the end of the day it was roughly the same money as a nice Honda accord, ford fusion, Toyota Camry. Traded in my old car that was becoming too unreliable and I came out pretty good. With family help I'm not in any debt (paid for the car myself though).

I could've gotten a new M3, but it would've been a very stupid decision IMO. I want one really badly, but I've decided that I won't be buying an M car until my 30th birthday in 2019. When I graduate in 2015 I'm expecting to get a good paying associateship in a practice that I intend on buying out.

My advice, buy a new car only if you need it. Even then, pay cash so you don't have a car payment while you're in school. If it has to be a bimmer, consider something other than an M3. Something that everybody overlooks is happiness. If having a nice car will make you happy, then get it. There are days when getting into a nice car after spending 12 hours at school with my heated seats, heated steering wheel, etc. is really nice and makes the day not quite as bad.
DDS2015 is offline   Canada