View Single Post
      02-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #46
aus
Major General

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighandDry View Post
Yeah, you know that going into it, but you REALLY don't know until you're there. At that time, if you wanted to be a surgeon, almost all the good programs were like that. It was so ridiculous though. In order to have a weekend off, you would switch weekends with your fellow intern. So when it was your weekend, you would start work on Friday and not leave the hospital until Monday night. Absolutely insane. Plus most of the attendings were Nazis in their former lives.

I told my wife I should write a book about residency and her reply was, "The general public is not ready for something like that."

In terms of going into medicine again? Sure why not. There's still nothing like taking the knife to the skin. I love being able to help people with a skill that took years and thousands of hours to hone Currently, my hours are pretty good and my pay is still very good. Not to sound too materialistic, but it's nice having a Ferrari (you car guys understand). Kind of like a pat on the back.
You seem to be about the same age as me and back then, the only G-surg programs that were every other that I knew about was at Duke and Hopkins, but that was hear-say from the folks going into it at the time.
You're also the few who have a Ferrari, at least in Cali. There's a neurosurg where I work who has a few nice cars, but otherwise not many are driving Ferraris in Cali unless they have no kids or a small house.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."