^ I fully agree with everything. There is nothing more frustrating than opening a FS thread with the title "blah blah blah for sale" and the only thing posted is "PM me for price" and NOTHING ELSE!
Why are people so afraid to list their prices? Are they afraid that someone else is going to undercut them with a similar item? That people will complain about the price? Do they not realize that researching fair market value for their item only takes like 5 minutes and would be immensely
more convenient for everyone? Like roadkillrob said, IT'S NOT FOR SALE IF THERE IS NO PRICE!!! Don't post a "feeler" thread looking for the highest offer. If I wanted to bid on an item I'd go look for it on eBay, not here. You can always change the price in your original post and title if you want to go lower.
Also, no pictures, no description, etc makes me RAGE!! Why list something for sale if you're not even serious about selling it? Take some effort to make your item appealing! Take LOTS OF PICTURES! Take some time to actually describe the item! I CONSTANTLY see FS threads that are bumped every 2 hours with NO ADDITIONAL CONTENT! Do those posters really think anyone is going to buy the item if you don't take photos? Until you post pictures, all you have for sale is a line of text on a screen. This may work for those of you who have been posting for a long time and the community is acquainted with, but if you're like me and aren't well known on the boards, then well, no one is going to send you $300 for your carbon fiber plasti-dipped dildo or whatever.
And don't even get me started when someone says "just google it for pictures"...
These are the Classified Rules from another forum I'm on. Perhaps we can take some ideas from this and implement them, so that our Classifieds section isn't littered with useless threads:
When posting an item for sale...
- Post a specific price for the item. No BEST OFFERS accepted. This is not an auction site, eBay listings are prohibited.
- 'Bumping' your own thread more than once every 48 hours is prohibited, doing so will get your thread dumped. Bumping someone else's thread to increase your post count will land you in time out or banned. The extra bandwidth and space required for that eventually does bog down the board
- Feelers ads are not acceptable forms of advertisements. Such ads will be locked (or deleted)
- Do not reply to a thread that has had no activity for over six months. The standard practice is to P.M. the seller and inquire on the availability on the item.
- Under No Circumstances is anyone to reply to a post suggesting that the item can be found cheaper elsewhere. That is the responsibility of the purchaser to look for the best deal - not for forum members to point out. Members are trying to sell their items in a safe environment without fear of others trying to undercut their sales.
- Sales are to be kept to BMW related items only. Other items will be deleted.
- We prohibit non-supporting vendors from posting any sale information to this forum -- especially advertisements in their signature file. The only items that we allow for sale are occasional personal items or items from supporting vendors for the benefit of our members. This prohibition also includes members basically in the DIY business of salvaging and parting out cars for a profit, whether from your home or a salvage yard. If you are interested in selling your goods here, please contact one of the Administrators for information on advertising here.
- Selling parts that you do NOT have on hand just isn't going to work on this forum. Get the parts on hand, take pictures of them and then post them. ALL threads of anything for sale that a member does not currently have on hand (unless they can provide justifiable proof that they do own those parts) will be closed.
- No bootleg/pirated or illegal material may be sold in this forum.
- All sales and purchases are at the risk of the individuals involved. Please be certain that you make safe and intelligent secure payment arrangements. Bimmerforums.com is not responsible/liable for any sales that go uncompensated. We are also not responsible/liable for any item advertised for sale in this area, and the integrity of that product's representation.
- Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board that accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will have their membership removed from the forum immediately.
- Bimmerforums.com does not promote/endorse any products listed for sale in this area.
- "No Surcharges. Under Visa and MasterCard regulations and the laws of several states, including California, merchants may not charge a fee to the buyer for accepting credit card payments (often called a "surcharge"). You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment. This restriction does not prevent you from imposing a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge (in other words, the handling fee for transactions paid through PayPal may not be higher than the handling fee for transactions paid through other payment methods)."
- Post the two digit state code for your location in your thread title to help narrow searches.
- Pictures are requested and appreciated of the specific items for sale.
- Post contact information... preferably a phone number or email address you know that works.
- Keep an eye on your thread (subscribe if necessary) and respond to people replying to your post.
- Remember to package your items to ensure they are not damaged during shipping
- Our community is savvy! By and large we don't have problems...but we have added these rules in this forum to explain proper etiquette when buying, selling or trading items.