View Single Post
      02-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #50
Mr Tonka
says, Drastic times call for drastic measures

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Id View Post
If you told someone 2 centuries ago that inter racial marriage was legal the majority of states would not have believed you. Are you saying that an outdated legal definition is more important than anything else?

My last job was writing legislation. Of particular importance is definitions and making sure they stand up to legal scrutiny. It is pretty common to redefine words to react to social change. Legislation is a fluid thing. To have an argument based on a principle of it wasn't like this in the past doesn't stand up to any level of scrutiny.
The government should get out of marriage all together. Straight or gay they should issue a civil union license and be done with it. If you want to get married in a church, by all means, do so. If you want to get married at Disney on Gay day go a head and do so. This is a simple and logical solution to the whole gay marriage issue. Is it not?

The reason this has not been enacted is because the government rather enjoys us simpletons bickering and arguing about this silly issue while most of the public overlook the important issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmy View Post
Change the law, get married, live next door, adopt kids, pay your taxes, participate fully in society, be my friend, whatever makes you happy is good to go.

I wish you well--just quit trying to persuade me that homosexuality is not abnormal, OK?
I agree with this. I don't have to agree with their lifestyle to accept it.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 02-11-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States