02-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #156
OldArmy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
Probably not worth my time to outline the laws I would like (none involve confiscation, but they involve registration and more thorough checks, especially for private sales, of both guns and ammo)

I'm sure that no matter what they are, you'll simply say, hey, I'm responsible, I havent shot up a classroom, I'm not the problem. Imposing restrictions on me wont make things safer.

In an isolated sense, you might even be right there. However, you'd be ignoring the very important fact that practically speaking, enforcement becomes impossible in an environment filled with exceptions (no matter how justified they are individually). If you cant monitor or enforce a law, there's no point in having it, and then it cannot provide benefit for everyone as it targets the dangerous people (ie: not you).

Guess what: in the 80s-90's, seat belt laws kicked in everywhere. There were plenty of folks who could also legitimately say, Ive driven for 40+ years with no accidents, I've not needed a seatbelt before. I'm not part of the problem, if you start making me wear one now, that wont make things any safer. Perhaps they were right, but that argument didnt fly with the cops then, and in my ideal world, the "I have a long history of safe gun ownership" wouldnt fly either.
Fari enough, you finally got there, sorta. It's plain that you value some generalized public policy aimed at the public good and don't value individual liberty as highly. You also actually seem to believe that government actually can fix this (whatever "this is). You understand that registration (whatever that means, devil in the details) and more/better background checks will do nothing, right? Also you have to know that good solid Americans, in droves, will not submit to registering their weapons--immediately becoming criminals to no good end. And of course, the mentally unstable and criminal populations will not be impacted in any way by your solutions to...what? I understand, I just disagree--you want us all get on your bus and ride to your destination. It comes down to personal freedom and an understanding that government can't get this fixed for me. For you, a belief in the state and a willingness to write off personal freedom (mine) in order to "do something" that makes you feel better.

What's encouraging is the signs that the hysterical anti-gun lobby looks like they can't get this done. Not going to pass anything that cramps my rights and when the president tries to do it administratively, he'll get his head handed to him. Sooooooo....what now?