02-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #151
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
United_States
Rep

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
I dont trust the government fiscally. When I see them do things that I think are self-destructive, or very damaging in a long-term view, I dont think they are being done to intentionally bring the country down, I think they are being done because the folks in charge incorrectly believe they are doing good instead of harm.

I'm a big fan of the statement "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetance".
Has my personal life experience led me to believe that someone trying to help may end up harming me ? Sadly, yes.
Do I think harming me is their intended goal? No.

That's the difference between cynical and paranoid. The NRA comes across as the latter to a lot of people.

When I have to deal with someone causing me harm, I find it's MUCH easier to achieve progress if I approach them with the tone of someone who is seeking to correct their well-intentioned, yet misinformed opinions, rather than someone who is aggressively seeking to crush their subversive, intentionally malicious attack.
This IS a major part of the problem. I don't currently fear that the government will come to my house and take all my firearms. I DO believe that is a very real possibility this could happen in my life time. Every time either good or evil intentions take away or right or even a portion of a right we get closer to that end.
Quote:
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. -Thomas Jefferson
Surely these people are wiser than you or i when it comes to this subject. No?

Quote:
There is no greater tyranny than that which is perpetrated under the shield of the law and in the name of justice. -Charles de Secondat
Quote:
But constant experience shows us that every man invested with power is apt to abuse it, and to carry his authority as far as it will go. -Charles de Secondat
Quote:
The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in the same hands, whether of one, a few, or many, and whether hereditary, self-appointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny. -James Madison
Quote:
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. -Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. -Thomas Jefferson

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat