View Single Post
      02-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #40
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 9|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:35:72

Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq. View Post
This is good advice. I am a fairly novice driver and I would always find myself rushing and making my downshift too early in the braking zone going into turn one at LRP. I would downshift too early, try to blip the throttle, and let off the clutch. Often times the speed was to high and I either didn't blip the throttle high enough or let off the clutch which upset the car. This was magnified because for a novice there is a lot to think about going into turn one there - I'm doing about 120, try to find my braking marker, break hard, heal toe, and try to find the first turn in cone. I just wanted to get the shift out of the way but the way you described it above, what I should be doing is trying to finish most or all of my braking before executing the downshift.

I started to get better at it toward the end of last season but it takes a lot of seat time to get right. My new car has DCT so I will be cheating this season.
your right dct is cheating. this stuff partially comes about naturally as you try to get faster. you have little revelations every couple times you go that make you faster and it feels easier at the same time. i have a turn one approach at my local track that is 140 in so i know the feeling but that is also very fun getting correct. i do a 5th to 3rd skip shift(something no instructor pointed out i should do) just at the end of very hard braking almost same time as my turn in. getting that entry speed correct is crucial because its a long sweeper and want to be at max traction as soon as possible and not waste time taking a set in the turn. whats so fun about this sport is there is infinite room for improvement. each little tweek means you have to change 5 other things so that change can be fully utilized. its maddening.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States