View Single Post
      02-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #27
Alekshop
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: E30 M3 l E92 M3 l F82 M4

Send a message via Skype™ to Alekshop
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP33DRCR View Post
Hey that's right--I remember chatting with you about the Lime Rock you were driving.

I've been running the RE-11s on the car for a pretty long time. They are a great tire, and I have about six track days on the set on my car right now--in addition to about 35,000 street miles.

But I don't believe that running them will help with my heat issues. When I melted/burst the brake line at T'Hill, I was running the RE-11s. And I had major heat/pad wear issues with almost every track day I've run on the stock tires.

It probably comes down to driving style and perhaps a BBK. I am not sure how much it helps me, but I do tend to brake very late & hard--and I probably slow the car more than I need to. I did ride with an instructor, and he suggested that I "stab the brakes, and then turn." I try to follow that advice, but don't always suceed. It does seem easier on the brakes, tho. I do have a Skip Barber class coming up soon--maybe that'll help.

And since I seem to melt just about every pad out there (street or r-compound tires), and my DIY ducting hasn't improved things at all, I am just not 100% sure if I will see any meaningful improvement with a BBK. I just think the car needs some serious Jenny Craig.

Fortunately, when my brake line burst, it happened just after I returned to the pits. It could have been pretty bad if it happened a minute earlier:

If you don't think BBK will help you then your are screwed but for the rest of us they seem to work quite well!