View Single Post
      01-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #32
Porschefile
Major

Drives: E92 M3 DCT, E46, '12 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
no contest the GT-R is a great car, that's for sure. Just seems odd given the intended use of the GT-R that it requires modification to something as major as the transmission or it will "fail". This is not a consumable item, but a major warranty covered component of the car that would be "at risk".

While a BBK is nice to have on a M3, you can certainly slap on some race pads, fluid, and SS lines and still last on the track for multiple sessions without worry.
I consider the trans on the GT-R and the brakes on the M3 almost equal flaws. Neither issue rears its head at 7-8 tenths, but if you drive hard then either one will annoy you. The GT-R trans doesn't melt itself, it goes into limp mode and you go pit and cool off (and replace the $500 trans fluid soon...). I can't say that is any more annoying than my first day in a bone stock M3 when I made the stock pads literally crumble and destroyed them and damaged the rotors.

The cars really shouldn't be compared, it is almost like comparing a GT-R or GT3 to a racecar; they're just not the same kind of thing. They are both awesome cars, but one is a very street-friendly car that is fun on track and the other is a not as street-friendly car that is a beast on track at the expense of some street manners, and with double the maintenance costs to boot.

I will say that the most track ready car out of the box is a 997+ GT3. They hold up in every way, and just work well on track. YMMV.

And, OP: sorry for derailing your thread into a GT-R vs. M3 thread... we probably have enough of those already.