View Single Post
      01-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: SQ5, X1

NoVA is tough because you don't get a lot of rain or snow but it does happen and the temps are often freezing in the winter. If the temps are below 35-40F most of the time, I think you would have advantages with a winter setup. Summer tires become rocks as the temps drop and even in the dry that means less traction and probably accelerated wear. I hate all-seasons because they do everything ok but nothing great. Traction to the ground is always a top consideration to me and winter tires will improve that in winter climates. I don't like to have to worry about grip.

If you have the means and storage space, I always think a set of winter wheels/tires is worth it if you'll be driving in freezing temps. If I were you, I would get Michelin PA4 in 255 square setup (largest width on the PA4) or Dunlop WS 3D in whatever size tire you're running now. You don't need a skinny snow specific tire.

FWIW, I don't really notice much if any loss of performance with my winter Michelins. Maybe a little more hard braking squirm and slightly reduced steering response but that's about it.

EDIT: Just realized you're in a 335i (this is the M3 forum). You probably wouldn't want a 255 square setup.