View Single Post
      01-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #58
GT3 Tim

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

My first encounter with an M3 was in 1995 at the local dealership. That was the year the E36 M3 first came out. They had one on the lot, which I just happened to see (was looking at another vehicle there). It caught my eye and I talked to the salesman a bit about it. I knew I had to have one, but could not come close to affording one at that time.

Flash ahead to 1998...I found a great deal on a 95 M3 and bought it. FUN car. I ended up modifying it all the way up to an AA turbo set-up. I started tracking and got hooked. I kept the car for about 3 years, then sold it. After I sold it, I bought a Tacoma and a 125cc shift cart and went road racing. I raced at Sear's Point (Infineon), Thunderhill, etc. It was fricken awesome. However, the wife got pregnant and decided carting was not the safest thing in the world. (LOL). So I sold the cart and truck.

In about 2002, I bought a 97 M3/4. This one I modified as much as I could without going to forced induction. I managed to get a 75 WHP gain out of the car. It was a perfectly balanced track car (which I drove around town too). So much fun. I tracked my a$$ off with that car and started instructing to help feed my habit (if you instruct, your sessions are free -- so I tracked all the fricken time!).

In about 2005, I sold the car and bought a 2004 996 GT3. I tracked the shiet out of that car too.....then I started getting burnt out on tracking. The last year I owned the car, it sat a lot. It is too rough to roll in everyday, especially with a little kid. So....in 2008, I sold it.

In June 2008, I ordered an E90 M3/4. I took delivery at the end of July, 2008 and still have it. After 4.5 years of ownership, I have 19,000 miles on it. NONE of those miles are track time (told you I got burnt out!). I drive it to work once in a while when it is "nice" outside. lol I have done some mods to it, but nothing crazy.

I don't think I have ever owned a car longer than 3 years. I have had my 2008 M3 for 4.5 years already, and I still love it. When I do decide to drive it, I end up with that "wow" factor all over again....

That's my M story.... I am excited to see the new M when it comes out. I doubt I will jump on it as soon as it comes out, but you never know. :-)
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States