01-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #28
VMcV3y
Captain

Drives: 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
I beg to differ. I read some posts about a year ago about OEM and aftermarket windshields. Many guys were complaining about the quality of the OEM widnshield it terms of it being prone to minute stone chips. If I recall correctly, when driving toward the sun, many people said that the OEM looks like sandblasted and the aftermarket windshield hed up much better. Again, this is what I remeber from way back, not sure where the post and who posted that.

I for one agree, in a year of "normal" driving, my windshield does look like it was sandblasted.
Okay, I'm glad this post came up. And the one by m3an also
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
OEM glass is Pilkington and is very soft and chips easily. (see Euro regulations re: glass safety).
I've got ~22,000 miles on the car in just over 52 weeks. There's noticeable sandblast-ing on the glass. I thought it was because the M3 sits lower to the ground... but in the back of my mind, it seemed like there was much more of this than there should be.

Then, last week, the glass got hit by debris from a truck in front of me. It made a really small dent in the glass. It was an impact that I thought would, in all of my previous vehicles, caused a fracture. But it did not. Might be the "softness" of the glass took the impact without spreading.

Anyhow, I was thinking about replacing the glass soon -- not because of the tiny dent -- but because I do NOT like seeing the sandblast-ing on the windshield when the sunlight is anywhere to the front or near-front.

Thanks, all.

- V

. . . .Munich . . . >. . . .Houston

When one wants a cabriolet, is there really any other choice than an M3? No. No, there's not.
VMcV3y is offline   United_States