View Single Post
      01-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #37
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General

Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeti View Post
I've been driving stick for the last 30 years with one diversion to a Mercedes C63 which only came with a slushbox. Now that motor was so near perfect, that it didn't bother me that I had an automatic (not even a dual but an honest to goodness slushbox). Then life threw me a curve and I had to sell it.

I went back to stick, drove a JCW mini, a 135 and a 335 since. All 6 speed. Recently, life threw me another curve. A medical condition that causes me tailbone pain from sitting in general but even worse when shifting it turns out. Seems the action of working the clutch increased my pain tremendously. There is no cure, just management, so I resigned myself to getting another auto.

I ran across a fantastic condition 2011 with DCT and jumped in. Honestly, other than my foot randomly looking for a clutch pedal, I don't miss rowing at all. I love the snick-snick sound the powertrain makes when shifting. I love being able to put it in D (5 FTW!) whenever I need to just chill out and not participate as much. Most of all, the experiment worked. The pain has lessened.

While my situation is unique - the need. The feeling of not needing a stick shift is not. I can finally agree that MT is an antiquated technology and we've been holding on because of our emotional attachment.

If you're on the fence, go drive one and you'll soon join the supposed "dark side."
Sorry to hear about some of life's curves crossing your path. I just like to pass along that once I started driving my DCT toy I often pretended to shift (hand on the stick), my mind would say shift now! just to see how close I was to the computer shifting

When I use the paddles some folks follow me then stop when I stop and say "man great exhaust note on you ///m3 love it" that mostly happens when I downshift using the paddle shifter.

Yes I love my DCT now ... once I was on the fence, no more

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada