Thread: Front BBK
View Single Post
      01-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
Richard@M-World

Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogg2000 View Post
When you guys run a front BBK only, do you use the same pads all around? How long do the rear pads last compared to the front after track use? Can't see myself dropping $7k+ for BBKs in the front & rear, but starting with the front only sounds appealing...
It's really a matter of your preference and your car set up. For example, the type and size of your tires can affect the amount of grip available at an axle and therefore change the "optimal" brake balance.

In most cases, running the BBK's default pad in the front and stock rear pad would be fine, assuming the coefficient of friction of the front pad isn't significantly different than stock. I know both StopTech and Brembo front kits work fine with stock rear pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoli007 View Post
Im curious about this as well. I would want to go 380mm for more thermal capacity and I'd think its better on track than the 365. But will that skew the brake balance too much to the front?
The weights of the Brembo 380 and 365 rotors are actually very similar. Remember, the brake disc is not a solid piece of metal.

How much bias you have on a particular axle is based on, among many things, the size of the rotor and the size of the pistons. Think of it as turning a wrench. To create the same amount of torque, you can have a shorter wrench with a stronger arm; or a longer wrench with a weaker arm.

The same principle applies to brakes. The 365 kit has larger pistons than the 380 kit to offset the rotor diameter difference.