View Single Post
      01-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
MisterEm
Private First Class

Drives: beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
My wife has offered up for my 30th birthday a trip to the 2-day M School. I am having a little guilt over the $3000 price tag (that's with my CCA discount). But then I got to thinking: what's the real cost of a track day? For reference I'd be driving my 2005 M3.

2-day Event: $350
Tires: Will I consume an entire set?
Brakes: New pads for sure, new rotors?
Track Day Insurance: $400 or so
Hotel: $200

The track event is at Summit Point which is about an hour from my house but I don't think I'd want to drive out there and then put my car thru that and drive back and then do it again the next day.

Just curious if anyone can shed some light on how much I am going to spend in brakes, tires, wear and tear...

Thanks.
I've done both and they are both unique in their own right. There is nothing that replicates the joy of taking your own personal car to the limit in a controlled environment.

That being said, my wife and I did the 2 day M school together a while back. She likes cars but not really a car nut per se. She was the only girl in our group of 12 and we both had a fabulous time wringing the neck of every M car in the lineup (including the X5M and X6M). The college town feel in SC was quite welcome. Decent food, wine, beer and walking downtown activities near by.

To this day, it is her favorite vacation ever. She wants our second honeymoon to be a repeat visit for the next M class over two weeks in Argentina. Take that for what its worth.

If you do it, make sure you both go.