hpc3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '13 M3 ZCP 6sp

I installed a MS oiled filter(alone, with adapter nub) and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class-of-2013 View Post
I bought all these little mods, like the drop in MS Air Filter, and noticed the MY '13 (maybe '12s or '11s) has a new style of stock air filter unlike the white gauze / big pleated like version in the '08s.

Does anyone think the new filter (yellowish, with many thin deep pleats) might not be as restrictive than as the old '08 stock air filter and might be as good as the modified aftermarket filters?

I installed the MS Filter recently and maybe it's a placebo effect, but the stock filter's induction sound / tone seem to be more aggressive and I didn't get the feeling the MS Filter made the car rev any easier than stock.
the intake sounds changed but only slightly. The car has smoothed out some in the 3-5K rpm range now vs with the stocker but other than that I can't say its any better/worse. I do think there's a little flow to be had going with a rounded/oval filter base vs the stock BMW snorkel(rectangular) but for $400 difference I wasn't willing to do it. I don't see much reason for the front kidney scoops either with the volume of air the drivers front intake provides to the filter box.

Mine had the "new" yellow filter from the factory. Haven't seen the older style to compare with but these stock filters work pretty well in my other hi-po applications. I was going for a reusable one with the MS.

Born on 07/04/12, PCD September 5th, 2012.