View Single Post
      12-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #40

Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S

Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
Totally true, people who own M3s and are too poor to also buy a Camaro for drag + an Elise for track + a Bentley for daily driving are missing the point of owning an m3 which is to wash it and look at it! Everyone know that it's a lot more fun doing 12.4 in a Mustang then doing 12.4 in an M3!
I'm guessing that going to work with my M3 is also wasting my handling!
The more I think about it, you're right--that's one of the great things about this car, that it can do so many things so well.

and where in the rev range do you think you stay when you drag race!?
I get your point here, too, but I'm thinking in terms of engine architecture/design and intended purpose. The extreme of the M3 example would be an F1 engine--very high revving, high-strung, relatively small displacement, and relying on high revs to generate horsepower. An F1 car would obviously be a very poor choice for a drag car. Most people would probably stall it just trying to maintain the revs to get it off of the line and going.

The extreme of the old-school American V8 example would be a big-block drag motor. Immense amounts of torque to jump off the line, and max power developed at around 5500-6000rpm, instead of 8200rpm in our cars, or 18000rpm in an F1 engine.

The M3 does by its nature have to be a compromise, but in its sporting nature I would say that its engine leans much more toward road course/handling/easily-modulated in the 5500-8000rpm range for maintaining balance in corners, instead of toward the drag racing/torque monster end of the spectrum. In other words, oversquare vs. undersquare.
IB E90 M3 ZCP returned to BMW FS

Last edited by paradocs98; 12-26-2012 at 07:01 PM.