12-22-2012, 05:35 AM   #127
OldArmy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
I take it you do have a problem with the idea of keeping your gun locked or in a secure place ? Yes, there are millions of law abiding gun owners who have no problem controlling their weapons, probably because a large percentage of them already have some form of gun safe or locking cabinet or something. For those people, asking to provide some sort of proof they have a lock should be no problem for them at all.

Is my idea of "security" (when your not using it, dont leave it lying on the kitchen counter) really that draconian or unreasonable ? Certainly in the Newtown shooting, if the mother knew her kid was unstable, and kept her guns locked up (without giving him a key), then yes, I do think it would have precluded a bad act.
Perhaps I'm not so articulate as I wish I was. My weapons are secure from use by anyone outside of my nuclear group. That's a prudent measure that I take because I find it to be a sound practice. What does concern me is having "you" in my house, in my private space, imposing your ideas of what is reasonable on me, to no certain endstate. It is a problem for me to have an increasingly intrusive government taking a greater and greater number of actions "for my own good". And of course I believe it just won't work to solve the problem at hand. Should I really have to go down to the county seat and show them a picture of my gun safe or a receipt for a lock when that is no proof that I actually have or use same?

Could not the same end be achieved by heavy criminal and civil penalties for allowing your weapons to be use in commission of a crime? To that, I have no objection whatsoever. See the difference?