12-22-2012, 12:39 AM   #126
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
United_States
Rep

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
Here in IL we have what is called an FOID license (card). Firearms Owners Id. This is required for ownership of any firearm in IL. You cannot buy a weapon or ammo without this card at the time of purchase. The fee is very low and the State Police do a background check which takes about a month. Many (about 99%) of the shootings in Chicago do not involve legal ownership. Dont get me wrong, it is a great idea for those States that do not require one, but in IL we have proved this does not prevent such tragic events. Maybe something tied to mental health, but then we have the doctor/patient privilege issue.

We can also obtain a CCW license from the State of Utah or FL. A class is involved and with the FL license there is a shooting requirement, albeit any experienced shooter can pass.

BTW...+1000...I'm keeping my collection and will be adding another 1911 soon.
That's one thing nice about the 1911s, hi cap mag ban won't affect them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmy View Post
And all these measures do a grand job of keeping law abiding gun owners in check. Meanwhile, in Chicago, the murders continue--committed by people who don't care what laws are inacted.
If this licensing was in place and everyone who committed a firearm crime was not licensed, maybe everyone would get up off our backs about gun control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
I take it you do have a problem with the idea of keeping your gun locked or in a secure place ? Yes, there are millions of law abiding gun owners who have no problem controlling their weapons, probably because a large percentage of them already have some form of gun safe or locking cabinet or something. For those people, asking to provide some sort of proof they have a lock should be no problem for them at all.

Is my idea of "security" (when your not using it, dont leave it lying on the kitchen counter) really that draconian or unreasonable ? Certainly in the Newtown shooting, if the mother knew her kid was unstable, and kept her guns locked up (without giving him a key), then yes, I do think it would have precluded a bad act.
I'm not sure you know that every firearm purchased new comes with a lock. Not that a nice set of bolt cutters couldn't get through it but they do come with locks.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat