12-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #104
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
So what's the alternative? Bring back the assault weapons ban, and bring it back with some teeth this time. Ban the manufacture, importation, sale, transfer and possession of both assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. Don't let people who already have them keep them. Don't let ones that have already been manufactured stay on the market. I don't care whether it's called gun control or a gun ban. I'm for it.
What is your definition of an assault weapon?

So many people who have zero experience with firearms have absolutely no clue. First off, these things need a clear definition. A rifle with a pistol grip is not necessarily an assault weapon. A barrel shroud the same. Cosmetics that don't alter how the firearm fires bullets do not necessarily make it an assault weapon. Banning something because of the way it looks, not because of the way it functions, is ignorant. It shows how much the anti-gun crowd really knows about firearms. That is why the last "ban" failed miserably.

High capacity magazines are a different subject. Most gun people are pretty open to exploring this area. I personally don't see a need for 30 round magazines in any of my weapons because I hunt with them. I don't agree with the crowd that will say we need them to "overthrow our government." I'm not that paranoid...

However, we need to get our terms straight here before we talk about bans and halts on manufacturing...