View Single Post
      12-20-2012, 05:02 AM   #62
LarThaL
Colonel

Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanderbilt View Post
Only one issue with that statement. The reason the M3 gets so much attention from men (and less so from women) is because every dude reads Car & Driver or Automobile or whatever, whether they are an enthusiast or not. And every year those magazines have had something like "M3 is the greatest car EVER to be made it is the KING of all automobiles". So people actually do know what it is on that basis alone.
I think you hit the nail on the head. It is a very well known car. Even my friends who aren't car enthusiasts have heard of it. It is legendary for the very reason you mentioned, and yet it is still within the scope of reality.

There was a time in my life when I could not have afforded this car. And, yet, it was within reach "someday". For that reason, I lusted after it. Do I lust after a Bugatti? Absolutely not. It is so far beyond my reality that I don't give it a second thought.

Last year I went to the NY International Auto show. I spent about 3 minutes looking at the Bugatti. On the other hand, I went back to look at the M6 like 10 times. Why? Because it is a really nice car but is also within the scope of my reality. I think the M3 has a similar effect for a lot of people.