View Single Post
      12-20-2012, 12:05 AM   #23
adc
Brigadier General

Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
You would be dead wrong. Montoya (a damn good driver) is imperical evidence. With equal equipment he cannot best the likes of a Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Jimmy Johnson, et al.

It is just a different type of race, a different type of car with completely different driving and handling characteristics. You proved my theory in your last sentence -- re: Kimi in WRC races.

I would bet that if each series selected 5 of their best drivers within their own series and had them drive 10 ten laps in a Cup Car, 10 laps in an F1 car, 10 laps in a Daytona Prototype car and 10 laps in a GT car and record the aggregate lap times, Tony Stewart (assuming he can still fit in an F1 car) or Jeff Gordon would have the best overall time. Why? becasue they have driven open wheel cars many times (Stewart in Indy cars) and the Cup car is the most difficult to drive and is the one they drive for a living.
Montoya wasn't that good in F1, why do you think he left?

My point was that both WRC and F1 requires very specialized skills that outsiders don't pick very easily. But NASCAR requires the most generic driving skills, so you can move from F1 and Indy to NASCAR with more success, than the other way around.

I remain at my opinion that Alonso would lap better in NASCAR than Jimmy Johnson would in F1. I think it's much harder to drive a F1 car well, perhaps the hardest of all.

WRC could give it some competition in this respect simply because the terrain varies so much (dirt, ice, snow, gravel, Tarmac each with unique characteristics), because it's impossible to learn a stage the way you do a circuit, because everything is less predictable and you have to rely on the navigator which is a big leap of faith.

2009 E90 M3 ED
2014 X1 28i
2000 Boxster