View Single Post
      12-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #74
MiddleAgedAl
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmy View Post
I dislike the intentional dishonesty of the anti-gun crowd. They will use the emotion of the moment where the problem to be solved is used to achieve grander goals. If we focused on the issue at hand we would be talking about the insane and their access to weapons. But they aren't, they are extending the argument, using the dead children to crank down on guns in general. It's intellectually dishonest and cowardly but, it will probably work.

I'm waiting for the solution that fixes mass shooting incidents. Haven't heard anything so far.
How exactly is it dishonest?

If someone is not happy that innocent 6 year olds get shot, chances are pretty good they are unhappy that 10000 others die from gunshots each year too, even tho it's not part of a mass shooting. Wanting all guns scaled back is hardly contrary to their own goals.

It's not like someone only dislikes mass shootings, but secretly approves of the other thousands of gun homocides a year that do not occur in a group setting, so they only speak up after a mass incident.

Even if you could wave a magic wand and somehow guarantee that everyone who is diagnosed as clinically insane by todays standards could not even touch a gun, that wouldnt stop all the other shootings, because not all shooters in a 1-on-1 battle would be consistenly, reliably categorized as insane based on any test you could somehow administer against their wishes. Crimes of passion while drunk or something would not be stopped, unless the person was in that state while tested for for their right to touch a gun.

I seriously doubt that Australia or Canada has a fraction of the homocide rate because they have fewer insane people.