Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
Provide firearm safety screenings and mental health evaluations to prevent this. This incident really angers me, I like weapons, I would love to own a weapon but my wife says no. She's Japanese and even watching security forces on Travis AFB carry their M4s scare her because it's not a daily norm for her since Japan doesn't worship firearms like we do here in the States. People committing these crimes aren't criminals from the get go until they have a meltdown like we saw in Aurora this summer and now this event.

I like this argument that some have saying that it's necessary to defend against a tyrannical government, but what good would your peashooter do against a Reaper or an AC-130 flying miles up in the sky shooting down on you should such an event come to pass? What gets me the most is that the President went on TV to give a tearful statement about the event, what we should want from our President is to pass some legislation because after all, 5000+ kids die yearly in the US from gun violence and people have the nerve to call that freedom.

Just venting here because I have two small children I might just send them back to Japan if the situation across the country is completely fucked by the time they enter grade school. The time to talk is now and not later like Fox News and other media outlets prefer to do. The "War On Christmas" is not important, the war for the future safety of our children's future is.
I agree. I also believe a hugely important factor in all of this is our national obsession with guns and violence. We need to acknowledge the dominance of gun culture in our society and stop glorifying guns and violence. As a society we are obsessed and intrigued by killing, murder and mahem, often involving guns in a way no other western societies are. These themes are featured prominently in the media we consume. I'm not advocating censorship of any kind. I think there are other ways to address this problem to make it less attractive especially to youth.

As others have rightly pointed out mental health is an important aspect to all of this. Statistics show not all, but many of these mass murder shooters are young males with some form of mental illness. We need to get serious about identifying these individuals and intervening before they become a threat to others as well as themselves.

Easy access is another big problem. It's too easy in most states for anyone to get their hands on fire arms without proper screening. In most states it's easier for a young person to own assault weapons than it is for that same individual to obtain a drivers license. Getting access to guns is rediculously easy in most states in this country. That has to stop.
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper