View Single Post
      12-12-2012, 05:40 AM   #38
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General

Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
Definitely would get its super fast. There are no more trips to gas stations. No more oil changes. Next to no maintenance.

As for the naysayers it's a rare day that your going to drive the 200+ miles in a single day. Most places you could go have a charger somewhere nearby and more being added daily. Renting a car for the once a year drive to grandmas house actually has many benefits. Currently battery technology is one of the largest area of research by both private and public funding. The government even is working on what they refer to as a modern day manhattan project for battery research.

Tesla is a breath of fresh air. Building from the ground up a car that can compete with the top brands.... And it's electric. I cannot wait to see what they do in the future if this is there starting point.
What happens if the only car you can rent is electric too? You need to view the success of the Tesla in terms as if BEVs were the prevalent vehicle type. You say charge stations are being added daily, and now that's great except there are not enough charge stations if BEVs were a higher percentage of the vehicle population. It takes too long to add BTUs back into a battery as compared to adding BTUs back into a ICE car's fuel tank; it's just chemistry.

It all comes down to cost of ownership and the benefit ratio. The Tesla S is a great achievement and could function in a lot of owner situations, but the model that provides a comfortable range of over 200 miles on a charge is around $85K. When you can buy a comparable ICE car for $50K, the extra $35K pays for the fuel for almost the vehicle's entire life time.

Almost everyone here poo-poos the Chevy Volt. Most people here laugh that it will never sell in the numbers it is projected to by GM. But as a extended range battery electric car, it's a dammed nice first try and actually fits the targeted owner profile almost perfectly, who are those people that drive about 40 miles a day. In a single car you can drive all or mostly on battery for daily driving duties, and if need be switch over to gas power generation for extended trips. I'd get a Volt way before I'd get a Tesla S if I had to make the decision today and had a commute profile that fit either car's cost-value profile (but I don't).

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-12-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Efthreeoh is online now   United_States