View Single Post
      12-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #29
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: SQ5, X1

Skiing was decent today so I took the plunge and drove my M into the snowline up Stevens Pass. This drive is on a winding 2 lane highway and today there was a torrential downpour followed by fast falling snow. The road is in modest shape but due to the water volume, standing water was a regular threat at lower elevations while up higher, the snow was thick and slushy until the pass, where it was covering the road and parking lot. I had mostly traffic free road on the way up so I took advantage of it and despite the driving rain, I was flying. 100-120mph happened a few times very briefly. oops

I have driven this road dozens of times in my last car, a highly modified WRX with Pirelli Sottozero's for winter, and I had much more confidence with the M3 and Michelin PA4's. These tires are planted so firm in cool wet weather it's downright rediculous. In the thick slushy snow, I was able to blast through lane changes with controllable slop and no loss of traction. I passed basically everyone including the 4x4s and subies. I could get the rear end to step out if I was abrupt on the throttle, but loss of traction was progressive and controllable, never harsh. In the parking lot, there are some small hills and the snow is icy and slick. I was able to move slowly up and down the hills without any issue while I looked for parking and never had wheelspin.

Driving into the mountains is my absolute favorite thing to do and I do it often in summer and winter. This drive was my first in my M3 on winter tires in winter weather and it was so much fun. I'm 100% sold on these tires and can't imagine finding anything better for my driving.