View Single Post
      11-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Honestly, this break in period stuff is a bit of a load of crap and I really don't know the scientific basis of it. How many revolutions do you think it takes for the metal in your engine to get "filed down".

Assume an average rpm of 3000 and an average speed of 50mph. This equates to 180,000 revolutions every 50 miles. 1200 miles would work out to 4, 320,000 revolutions. It does not take this much to break in your motor.

Don't believe me? Take a dremel tool at 6000 rpm to a piece of metal for 1 minute and see what it does.

I have never followed these types of ridiculous break in rules, and I have never had any type of problem. I kept my car under 6000 rpms for like the first 300 miles. Then 7000 rpms for the next 300 miles. Even then, I would deliberately redline it once in awhile. After 600 miles, I drove it however I wanted. I used a lot of engine braking and varied the rpms a lot. Now, I certainly didn't do any sustained high rpm driving like you may do on a track, but for routine spirited street driving, the notion that you have to adhere to these rpm limits has no scientific basis whatsoever. In fact, there are plenty of people who believe a hard break in is actually better for the motor in terms of seating the piston rings and subsequent implications for oil burning.

And BTW, isn't every engine is tested to redline before it even leaves the factory?!?!
Unless you did some scientific testing, it may be difficult to ever tell the difference. I agree that it is most certainly a waste, logically. Having said that, it was a bit of automotive foreplay for me, so I would do it all over again, for sure. Kind of like modding, it stretches out that new car excitement for a longer period of time. I bought a new car almost every year for several years, and lost a lot of money. Spreading out that new car feeling has helped me slow that down a bit. With my last car, it was mods. For this car it was break in, then first track day in the ///M . Now just need to keep the excitement going for another year, more track time/driving school, perhaps. Then maybe the mods will start in year three