View Single Post
      11-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
passing's Avatar

Drives: caprice wagon
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: cruisin down the street in my '64

iTrader: (5)

Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
I dont think he's talking about property damage. He's talking about UM bodily injury.

If you are in an accident caused by an uninsured motorist and you don't have UM coverage, your health insurance will generally pay for your medical bills related to that car accident. That can easily total tens of thousands of dollars if you require a hospital stay. If you have UM/UIM coverage, that pays for health care expenses before your health insurance kicks in.

But your health insurance won't pay for lost wages if you miss work or for pain and suffering resulting from the crash. Lost wages and pain and suffering are paid for by the at-fault driver's liability insurance. If the other driver doesn't have liability insurance, or doesn't have enough of it, you're out of luck unless you have UM/UIM coverage or want to pursue the matter in court.

In some states, you can also buy uninsured motorist property damage insurance (UMPD), but it is a separate coverage added to your auto policy.

If you don't have UM/UIM coverage and are hit by an uninsured motorist, your only option is to pursue the driver in civil court or small claims court. That's not a cheap or easy option for recouping your costs. First, you should hire an attorney. Second, uninsured drivers tend to lack coverage because they cannot afford the car insurance rates. Therefore, it's unlikely that they can pay for your medical treatments even if you win the case.

As with any other car accident, before you can make a claim on UM/UIM coverage, car insurance companies will want to investigate the claim. They will confirm that the other motorist is uninsured or underinsured and that he or she is at fault.
we have PIP in florida. it will pick up his BI up to 10k. assuming he pays his bills.