Included is a quick overview for those not familiar with the ESS E-Flash Software Suite, which is best suited for S65 M3 platforms.
ESS was founded 1995 in Aremark, Norway. ESS E-Flash ECU software is a result of extensive testing and exact calibration of ECU parameters to allow conservative performance gains on an otherwise stock car. The ESS software is developed and tested in extreme heat in the Arizona desert as well as extreme cold temperatures in Scandinavia. The end user can select between 2 different power levels and cat/no cat in the DirectFlash unit. ESS E-Flash also includes full engine diagnostic functionality and code clearing capabilities.
Overview Video: Table of Contents
0:00-0:22 ESS Tuning Software Installation
0:23-1:04 E-Flash Cable Marriage
1:05-1:53 DME/ECU Backup - Initial Read
1:54-3:09 DME/ECU Programming (OS update, if provided)
3:10-4:08 ESS Tuning Performance File Flash
4:09-5:06 Codes and Adaptations
1. Install ESS E-Flash Software Suite software on your laptop or netbook
2. Connect the provided cable to your OBDII port and read your ECU
3. Email the file to either EAS or ESS directly, along with your vehicle's details/configuration
4. Performance tune will be provided to you via email, in which it can be flashed at your own convenience
You have full control over the read/flashing process - ZERO
downtime from sending DMEs back and forth in the mail!
ESS E-Flash optional features
- Optional 8600 RPM limiter (raised from stock 8250RPM)
- Horsepower: (+15-20hp on average, depending on modifications)
- Improved Torque: (+10-15ft/lbs on average, depending on modifications)
- Removed cold start cat heat cycle/camshaft phasing (for smoother cold starts)
- Remove Check Engine Lamp (CEL) for those running catless and/or track setups
- Removed top speed governor/VMAX
- Reprogrammed torque management
- Reprogrammed throttle response
- Reprogrammed ignition, VANOS and fuel parameters for optimum performance
S65: E9X M3
S54: E46 M3
S65: E9X M3
S62: E39 M5
S63: E70 X5M, E71 X6M
S85: E60 M5, E63/4 M6
N54: E8X 135i, E9X 335i, E89 Z4 S-Drive35i, E60 535i, E82 1M, E9X 335is, E89 Z4 S-Drive35is
N52B30: E8X 130i, E9X 325i/328i/330i, E60 525i/528i/530i, E63/4 630Ci, E65 /30i, E83 X3 3.0i, E70 X5 3.0i, E85 Z4 3.0i, E89 Z4 SDrive30i
N62B44: E60 545i, E63/4 645Ci, E65 745i, E53 X5 4.4i
A lot of discussion has been made on DME software versions, such as we brought to light late last year when 231E first arrived at BMW dealerships, seeing substantial gains on vehicles that have never been updated (part of normal maintenance schedule) vs 231E, which is now being updated to 240E at time of this posting. EAS first brought this to light back in December 2011..
The primary intention of this thread is to inform and educate on the ESS tuning platforms
, as well as serve as an ongoing FAQ for those current using the E-Flash software suite, or simply for those searching for more information. We will be posting dyno sheets, as well as product updates and other news as info is made available.
Feel free to respond with questions as desired.