View Single Post
      11-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #24
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Captain

Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
I own Tesla stock so obviously I believe in the company, but...

There's no doubt it's a quick car in real world conditions but to say it's faster than gas powered performance sedans is a gross misstatement of the facts. Like the Roadster before it, it's all launch and midrange, with zilch for topend. A 328i would pull it above 100mph.

I'm interested to see when they start putting multi-speed gearboxes in their cars. That would make a big difference in topend (which is really irrelevant in the real world, heh)

As for a Model S giving an M5 a run for its money around a racetrack? No. The M5 traps 10mph higher in the 1/4 mile, and accelerates much, much harder between 70mph and 140mph than the Model S, which are the important speed ranges on a road course. It's also 600lbs heavier and the CG height isn't that much better, maybe half an inch to an inch, and the M5 comes with much better tires and brakes as well. It's not a contest, not even close.

The fact that we're having this discussion, means Tesla has changed the game IMO
You are spot on. MT did a test with a Tesla Roadster and a Boxster S. After 80 mph, the Boxster S ran away from it and also trapped 7 mph faster in the 1/4 mile. On the track the tesla got embarassed. The weight and batteries are not ideal for tracking handling.