Thread: SC confused !
View Single Post
      11-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #335
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

There is a lot of good technical information in the thread, which I appreciate. It is understandable that tuners defend themselves and their products. Evolve has done a nice job with its kit. The explanation about getting more out of the blower by maximizing efficiency makes perfect sense to me. Evolve has provided a lot of documentation on how it is designing the kit to maximize efficiency. I like the piping to the intercooler. It reminded me of what Dinan did on the E46M3, which was also a nicely engineered air to intercooler system with a lot of R&D. Whether the big Rotrex will be as good a choice for modded 600 plus rwhp systems remains to be seen, but for 98 percent of buyers who don't mod beyond the kit or build a low compression motor, it won't matter. The Rotrex is little and provides some packaging advantages that were long ago recognized by tuners -- they could fit air to air intercoolers more easily than with the big Vortech. Air to air and air to water both work well -- you see car makers with massive R&D budgets using both. Air to air is generally considered simpler and more failsafe, but both have been used successfully on high powered factory cars like Porsche turbos (air to air) and Mercedes AMG (air to water). I have run both on forced induction BMWs and been happy with both. Obviously, both could be poorly executed and thus inefficient, but let's give the tuners some credit.