View Single Post
      10-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #166
M3PO
Colonel

Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
IMO benvo that's totally norma. and you say the car runs fine. I have looked and numerous m3 as well as reg bmw and all seem to have a little rattle while cold.

Ever hear a car start after an oil change?? For a second it sounds like marbles in a can until the head is pressurized. I'm sorry but I really don't get these threads.

My car makes a noise, but runs great so I am going to the dealer with M3posts threads and demand they look at it. Just freaking drive the cars. When they break, then fix them

At worst we are hearing an exaggerated rattle from the chain tensioner while the car is cold and the heads are dry as the oil is sitting in the pan. I've asked before, where are people parking there cars? inclines may exaggerate the issue. I would keep an eye on it, but if you're not hearing the noise while driving the car and it runs fine, who cares?
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
ever hear the old adage, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" I think that should apply here. I believe the few incidents we see to be isolated and now (psychosematic (sp)) kicks in and everyone hears noises. My e46 rattled and never gave an issue. In fact these older bimmers were issue enough for BMW to release a statement reqarding normal vanos noises and what was normal and what was excessive. This is nothing new. In fact a good test is to rev the car up steady to like 3k and listen for a rattle by the front of the head. All these cars make noises, some more than others.

If anyone wants to test my theory, when the car is cold, pull the fuse for the fuel pump and crank the engine for 15 sec to build oil pressure and then replace fuse and start the car. See if you still hear the rattle.

IMO I would be pretty hesitant to let BMW rip apart the top end of the car due to some excessive noises espeically if the car drives fine and hasn't thrown any codes yet.
We know what you think already. You've made it abundantly clear so you can stop posting in here now.

Fact is, BMW has recognized in a few cases that it is an issue and fixed under warranty at great expense. It's not just another "normal" noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
I have been following this thread closely but listening to more videos I think it's just a cold engine startup signature. Sure they could have spend one more year of engineering development to refine the startup sequence but if it's just cosmetic undesirable noise who cares, it's not going to reduce the engine life or performance in any significant way until the next half million times you start the engine.
Problem is, you don't know that it's just a "cosmetic undesirable noise" and that the car will go for 500K miles. That's all speculation from your end that doesn't help. Mine was getting worse, louder and longer. It very well could have become a serious issue and caused a failure but I had it fixed instead.