Originally Posted by tma1c
it looks like there are 2 ways from what I remember.
- remove the knob from boot (take your time to unclip it, try not to break the clip.)
- take out the plastic piece from new boot and glue it in the old boot
- then snap them back together.
I wish i did it that way but i broke the clip rushing it, lol. but not a big deal. you dont really need the plastic clip.
- I removed the boot from knob.
- then you have to cut the plastic ring on the bottom of new knob (that would clip to the boot clamp.) so you can shove some of the boot in there. Once you clamp it down it secures the boot to the knob and looks perfect.
Pm me if you want me to explain it over the phone.
U da man!! Thanks for the help!
Here's what I was thinking (may be what you mentioned in option1) but let me know if you think it will work:
--take new knob/alcantara boot combo and remove the bottom of boot from the plastic ring meant for f30 (stapled into place)
--remove original m3 shift knob/leather boot combo and separate the plastic ring (glued into place, hopefully can glue back later if want to return to stock)
--take new alcantara boot leaving still attached to new knob and glue to old plastic ring (my biggest question is if this will fit, but although the rings are slightly diff shapes overall size seems pretty similar)--then just click back into place.
--no actual cutting of either boot involved (just swapping of the plastic base rings)
If this fails, will take you up on the call. Thanks!