View Single Post
      10-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #248
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abear View Post
Well, yes, they are all carriers, but they will only turn if they die. A bite is different than them just having the virus. A bite kills you, just like you would normally die if you got a serious infection from a scratch or bite from something like a rabie infected animal. The thing is, this particular virus doesnt take over until youre dead.

I know you wont die from rabies, but I hope my point it kinda clear..I know there really isnt a good explantion, but its a comic book/tv show, cant be too realistic, lol.

Rick is thinking that by maybe cutting off the infected part, he can save Hershel. I guess we will have to see. I would imagine as long as Hershel doesnt bleed out and die, he wont turn. For those of us that have read the comic, we should know whats going to happen...to those that havent..keep watching!
Rabies is pretty damn deadly...

Viruses take time to incubate, they infect you usually in very small amounts, they enter a cell, incubate, and the cell explodes and spreads more of it which do the same. This incubation time has to be repeated several times before you have symptoms. This is why we say things "go viral". You only get one or two virus from indirect contact and such, and by the time it hits a full blown infection your body is already fighting it off.

Now if you get hundreds or thousands of virus directly into your bloodstream, you go straight into and past that full blown stage and your body has zero time to build up defenses and resistance and you get hit fast and hard by the symptoms and they last longer.

IE, blood spatter vs bite.

That's the easiest believable rationalization I can come up with, although it's still not really correct.