View Single Post
      08-13-2007, 09:12 PM   #55
Major General
JEllis's Avatar

Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth

iTrader: (4)

As others have posted on this board, I think it is a poor prognostic sign that BMW have not released the official US price yet. The world wide debut and sales of the car start next month, and the UK pricing has been out for quite some time now.

I agree with the argument that BMW will wait as long as possible before announcing the US price for a couple of reasons. Frist of all, they want to see if the dollar gains any strength against the Euro to increase the profitability of selling the lion's share of the M3's in the US. Secondly, I believe BMW will be asking a very high premium in the US for the M3 based on prices of the car in the UK and percent increase of price over models such as the previous generation M3, the current 335i, and the RS4. I do believe BMW will have a base US MSRP of about $65,000. By waiting until as close to US availability as possible to announce the price, they will give people less time to rationally decide if the car is really worth that much of a premium. People will be sick with anticipation and M3 hunger and will feel like they need to order it right away after the world has had the car for 6 months, and if you pop the price at the last second, they won't consider how extremely expesive this 3 series really is.

I think the longer BMW go with no US price announcement, the more expensive the car is going to be.
Your thinking is logical but not accurate.

When I placed my order with Military Sales I was told that BMW was limiting release numbers world wide, much the same way BMW did with the M5. In fact most M3's released in 08 are probably already sold. Meaning, that unless you are #1 or #2 on your dealers waiting list then you probably are not getting an M3 in 08. I dont think BMW is delaying at all. I think we havnt heard US pricing because we are going to be one of the last countries to get the car. I would expect to see US pricing just before the Frankfurt show if not right after. BMW probably wants to release the price for their biggest market with the actual release of the car. Plus, I dont agree that the M3 is going to be priced over 60K. Makes no sense for this car to have a premium like that over the 335i. Just my assumption though. Also, Military Sales quoted me 50K base (which is supposed to be about 10% off of MSRP) which makes the US price somehwere around 55-57K. Military Sales sounds confident in their estimate. I guess we will see though.

Instagram: jellismotors