10-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #29
Fox128i
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 E82

Garage List
2012 128i  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
The attack on the consulate in Benghazi had nothing to do with any movie; it was a coordinated attack by al-Qaeda.

Statements such as "I just don't understand why it's so hard for Americans to fathom that Muslims hold god, and Mohammed in such high esteem.
It's a foreign thing for Americans" demonstate the same kind of xenophobic mentality you claim to be superior to, sinice you've "lived abroad half of my life". Anyone who would attempt to describe the citizens of this country as one similar monobloc doesn't know very much about our populace.

I am offended by the statement "As for the whole freedom of speech thing
That's just BS
I'm not saying I don't believe in freedom of speech, I do
But ". Always a but with someone who really doesn't believe in free speech.

I agree that the concept of free speech is difficult, and a slippery slope. I'm thankful we have a Constitution and a legal system to define it for our citizens, instead of your definition. I am offended quite frequently with things I read and hear, but being offended is part of free speech sometimes. I have no desire for the European definition of "free speech", which seems to be whatever the government will allow, and what is politically correct.

Here's an example of how free speech works in the United States: remember the uproar over the comments by the president of Chick-fil-a regarding gay marriage? At least it was an uproar by some who were offended. The gay/lesbian community organized a kiss in at the restaurants. Meanwhile, those who supported the president's right to say whatever he said organized a support day on a Wednesday, and encouraged supporters to buy meals at Chick fil A that day.

Both groups conducted their days, and guess what? Not a single violent protest by any gay/lesbian group, nor by any group of Chick-fil-A supporters. And when the dust had cleared, the company said it would stay out of the politcal arena, and reiterated its support for all customers in its communities.

That, my friend, is how free speech works.

Well said my fellow Bimmer fan.