Just a few comments on testing.
The hardware used on the prototype is exactly what will be used on production with respect to design. As far as materials go we decided to test with weaker components. If the weaker components survive then we know components which are 10 x stronger will never have an issue.
An example of this - boost runners through the front panel (the black looking intake pipes) are made of Nylon. Now this is nowhere near as strong as aluminium. Nylon is taking the boost spikes when we let off the throttle at the rpm limiter. We are using sub standard sealing methods on purpose in that area such as under sized O-Rings and cheap sealant. Still we have no boost leaks and the relatively weak Nylon parts are not blowing apart.
The black wire run silicone hoses that go to and from the intercooler assembly have thinner than production wire in them. These are not blowing apart or deforming permanently. The production parts have a thicker wire guage. We therefore know they will be absolutely fine.
The air intake pipe to the supercharger is also made from Nylon and due to the way it's constructed is a good 20 times weaker than a production plastic or composite part. Due to the fact that the intake pipe is connected to the supercharger which will move with the engine but the other end won't move as it's connected to the bumper, we needed to make sure it wouldn't break. The Nylon part is surviving. So we know a normal plastic or composite part will never break.
Finally the CNC plenum and bracket. These are both made thinner than the production parts to see how they with stand stress and boost spikes. That was overkill as far as testing was concerned but you may aswell do it because it doesn't cost anything.
So what we have essentially done is test the much weaker and inferior parts over the same time span as we would have tested the production parts. This way we know the production kit is bomb proof.
The question some of you might have is did we blow anything up? Well.. yes we did. The Nylon supercharger parts blew themselves apart because we made them way too thin the first time around. From memory 2mm thick Nylon which was set in the wrong direction for strength. You could break these with your hands.
This is something we are very comfortable with. Having worked on various other supercharger projects for other M power cars including the V10 S85 we have no issues. You can never stop improving small things but comes at no cost to our customers with updates when they are released.
Many people will already know the dangers of high ignition timing. We aren't going there. We have seen the effects on exhaust gas temperatures and how they can sky rocket with high ignition once the engine is under load for extended periods of time. We have seen smooth consistent graphs and consistent power under real world environments.
Fuelling is set to give 0.80-0.82 lambda (11.76-12.0 AFR) for full load mid-high rpm.
Part load when the blow off valves are open is naturally set to 1.00 lambda.
Heavy part load mid-high rpm is set to 12.5-13 AFR with the lower being towards the higher rpm.
These are the two major areas to be concerned about for end users.
The rest is to maintain a smooth driving car with idles nicely and cold starts nicely.
We can tell you that alot more work (which is not alot) has been needed on both the throttle opening maps and the pedal maps in normal, sport and sport plus modes.
The responsiveness of the engine is way more than we expected! Any rpm, any gear.
The engine is more powerful from as low as 1500rpm.
When we say this kit will really please those who wanted some low end and midrange torque aswell as top end power, this kit will not disappoint.
Other than that if you have any specific questions please go ahead and ask.
Yes I know... you want to know the pricing!
Last edited by Sales@Evolve; 10-06-2012 at 05:51 AM.