View Single Post
      10-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #15
MiddleAgedAl
First Lieutenant

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair

In a way this quote reminds me of what I believe is a big reason that Obama will be re-elected. There are just too many people that rely on the government for assistance and have become comfortable living with it, and that number has continued to rise throughout his presidency.

You can tell me that I'm just piggy-backing off of Romney's 47% comment all you want (not you specifically, Templar, but people in general), but people with common sense have seen this coming for years.
Exactly. As I've said before, the very lack of ability to foster a business-friendly environment which helps people find jobs and become more independant will, ironically, be a key factor in his victory if he gets re-elected. In a perverse way, instead of being punished for not enabling people to stand on their own, he will be rewarded for it.

If you have people who contribute more than they take, and others who take more than they contribute, and you create an environment that causes the latter group to grow much faster than the former, then all you have to do is pander to the interests of the larger, faster-growing group to create a cycle that feeds off itself. Basic, irrefutable math there.

This is especially true when the vote of the dependents counts just as much as the contributors. Ultimately it will implode when the well runs dry of course, but term limits will kick you out of the oval office long before that occurs.