View Single Post
      10-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #14
Vince@SSCAmerica.com
Private

Drives: A lot!

Exclamation Plastidip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae1031 View Post
So the deal that I got offered is for plastidip. For literally a fraction of the cost of a vinyl wrap, I got a guy that will matte white my car and matte black the wheels with plastidip. I was hoping I could roll around in it for maybe a year or two.

Really no one has tried this longer than several days? And no one has any empirical evidence of something bad actually happening?
We have tried to use plastidip at the request of several of our customers. We have done emblems, wheels and roofs to varying degrees of success.

There are several problems that commonly occur with plastidip.
1) spraying the layers evenly for a smooth surface is very difficult.
2) plastidip will often bubble or peal when removing masking tape after application.
3) if plastidip is coated to thickly it will take on a leather like texture with random seams that form during drying.
4) coating the edges of the vehicle like wheel wells, fenders, trunk and hood are problematic and will most likely begin to peel quickly.

We would never recommend using plastidip on a large scale.

If you really want to go for a matted look that will last 2+ years, then a vehicle wrap is the most cost effective and durable option.
3M vinyl products are warrantied for 3 year and will typically last 5 years without major maintenance.

Check out this thread for a video on vinyl wraps

Last edited by Vince@SSCAmerica.com; 10-03-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Vince@SSCAmerica.com is offline   United_States