View Single Post
      10-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
[Deactivated-Velos]
Enlisted Member

Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ3 View Post
AA's kit does have more area to cover before the charge reaches the throttle bodies. You're right on that. However, would you not agree that charge cooling through an air-water core is more restrictive than a larger sized air-air intercooler? I'm sure you'll also agree that for any sort of cooling to be effective, there must be some sort of restriction.
It's not a matter of what's more efficient as far as just air-to-water or air-to-air, it's how efficient the entire system is.

The Air to Air intercooler on the AA system is poorly placed directly behind the bumper. We both know the benefits of cooling comes from having cool air hit a larger surface area into a cooler with less restriction. Due to the intercooler placement, this benefit has been nullified.

Quote:
As for pressure drop, have you personally measured pre and post cooler pressure differences on both kits on a day with similar conditions?
Yes and we can not measure the boost post cooler on the ESS system as it's basically the throttle bodies.

Quote:
You can't compare the N54 to the S63TU, obviously the twin turbo v8 makes more power than the straight 6 3.0L. The N55 was released air-air, along with the N20. If you've worked on the S63TU you'll notice that with the location of the turbos it's not logical to run an air-air setup.
Thats exactly why the most effective form of charge cooling should be dictated by the overall platform.

Quote:
We both know that throttle response with a drive by wire system can be tuned to different sensitivities. Some people prefer their throttle control to be exponential, whereas some prefer a linear style delivery. Doesn't mean one is better than any other.

Banging the rev limiter like the e46 M3 is how you bend rods. You put the most stress on a motor when you lift at high rpm under load. Again, different tuners will do different things, it's preference.
I 100% agree, everything is preference, even the kits being discussed.

Quote:
Reving a centrifugal blower higher will yield higher HP numbers. The last AA meth kit we installed had a green LED.
Correct but the light tells you that you are spraying meth, nothing else.

David we both know everyone is not as hands on and technically inclined as you are. Some may not realize the light has not turned on until after a few pulls...

Quote:
If you look at both dynos, the AA kit makes more power up until about 7250rpm. Would you attribute that to restriction, blower design, tuning, or the somewhat lean afr on the ESS car?

The ESS car peaks higher, but it also revs higher.
I can go deeper but it may no longer be a fair discussion at that point.

However, as stated above, i agree with you 100% as far as everything being preference.