View Single Post
      09-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #26
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
YES! No matter who wins in November, it will be really hard to say that it will an example of a pure meritocracy; the cream rising to the top as a result of a considered, thoughtful analysis and comparison of both candidates.

On one side, you get people voting for Obama to reward him for implementing a free phone program that he didnt even do, and on the other you get people voting against Obama for being a Muslim, which he is not. In both cases, those votes shouldnt really count at all.

Winston Churchill even said "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter", and I think he was right.

Personally, I think votes should be weighted to measure your knowledge of not only your candidates platform, but the others as well.
Answer a series of multiple choice questions about the various policy positions; where does party x stand on issue y. No partisan judgment or anything, just a measure of your grasp of what you are voting for, and against. Get all the questions right, so you are informed, and your vote carries a bigger weight than someone who gets them all wrong. Sadly, that'll never happen in a million years.
See my signature quote.

No file a tax return, no vote.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States