View Single Post
      09-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #32
egt135i
First Lieutenant

Drives: Moped

Here is some advice from someone who was part of the admissions committee not too long ago:

1) The MCAT is the biggest deciding factor when giving out interviews, and unfortunately, many schools have cutoffs. You want to rock this test, even if it means taking it multiple times. Looks into a review course, I personally liked the princeton review. Take many practice exams before the real deal. You can purchase them and the Princeton review comes with many many previous practice exams.

2) If you haven't taken Organic Chem, make sure you ace this course. It is the biggest predictor of how a medical student will succeed in medical school just because of the nature of material. If there is one course that is looked at in your transcripts, it is o.chem.

3) Prepare for your interviews. There is a book called "The Medical School Interview". Read it, learn it, know it. Know about the school you are interviewing at, and know future plans/advancements/changes in curriculum. Ask intelligent questions and look very interested. Treat every interview as if it is your only interview. And most importantly: be very friendly to everybody including other applicants and secretaries.

4) Every applicant is more than just their MCAT, you want to be the total package. Your Z score is who you are as a person. What kind of life experiences and hobbies you have. How will you contribute to the student body?

PM me with any other personal questions and let me know where you end up applying...